Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Check in Calls Training- By: Gayle Foster!!!

Check in Calls Training
Two Parts!

Thank you Barbara for having me. I am very excited to be talking to you
tonight on verbiage to use when making calls to customers and hostesses.
Last Fall, Shauna Clark got Minnesota doing check in calls every week and it
has dramatically changed our businesses here!! We are seeing a lot of great
results. So I am really excited to share with you the importance of these
calls and what you can say.



I recommend making 20 calls a week. They can be spread out to 4 calls a
night for 5 days or you can do 10 one night and10 another night. If you work
full time and doing 20 calls on a Sat works better, do that. Whatever works
for you - but just do them. It might only take you about a 15 minutes to a
half hour to make those calls - once you get going you might make more than
20 calls.



When you're ready to make those calls, get a piece of paper and date the top
of the page. Keep track of your calls with the customer/hostess name, phone
number and what was said on the call or whether you left a message. Make
other important notes so you can remember what you said for follow up later.
Keep these lists in a 3 ring binder and just keep adding to it. It will
keep you organized.



How many of you are afraid of the phone? When I first started Premier 12
years ago I use to be afraid of the phone, but it was because I was calling
to ask for a booking. I hated rejection so I figured if I didn't call,
nobody could say no to me. Needless to say, my business was not where I
wanted it to be. I would avoid the phone as much as I could, until I got
desperate. Then I had to force myself to make those calls. Now that I
learned about check in calls the pressure is off and I am having fun making
those calls. When I make a check in call, not a booking call, I am building
layers to the relationship with that person and that is exciting to me.



We all know that Premier loves to keep it personal. What better way than
checking in with our customers and hostesses. It is all about relationships
in our business - jewelry is our vehicle to meet many, many women and build
new relationships. When you make these check in calls, you are adding a
layer to your relationship with that person. Once you have established that
relationship, you never know what might happen next. She may book a show
with you, she may become your best hostess and have many shows, she may
become a jeweler and then most likely become your friend!! How cool is
that?!!



I am excited to tell you ladies that You will never have to make a booking
call again! Isn't that great?? Check in calls are not booking calls.
They are exactly what they say, checking to see how you're hostess or
customer is doing or how their jewelry is doing. These calls are very
important and can make a difference in your business. Remember, You are
serving not asking. I would like Premier to be known as the company that
services their customers and hostesses on a regular basis. Have you ever
gotten a call from a direct sales company after you've done a show with
them? I don't remember one.





How many of you find it very easy to call your friends or family even if
it's to ask them for something? When you have even a little relationship
with that person, it's so much easier to make that call. When you start
building layers, those calls get easier and easier to make and then when it
is time to ask for a booking, the person on the other end is more likely to
say yes, because you have a relationship with each other.



Here's an example of what a basic check in call might be after you've met
someone at a show:


Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry, how are you
doing? It was so nice to meet you at Kathy's jewelry show. Thanks for
supporting her and coming to her home. I wanted to thank you for your
purchase - I love the earrings you picked out, they're one of my favorites.
I'm just checking in to see if there is there anything else I can do for
you?..... Ok, I want to give you my number in case you think of anything
later.....

Thank you for your business and have a nice evening.


Now that was short and sweet and adding a layer to your relationship with
her. You didn't ask for anything so the pressure is off for both of you.



Of course when you make these calls, you get many answering machines. It's
OK to leave a message when you do your check in calls. Did you know that
80% of the calls you make will end up with an answering machine?

Here's what you might say if you are leaving a message... just be careful
not want to talk about their purchase since they might not have told their
husband what they spent.



Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I'm just
checking in with you and calling to say thank you for attending Kathy's
jewelry show. It was so great to meet you. If there is anything I can do
for you please let me know. My number is.....



Again, short and sweet and to the point. Another layer. It didn't take
very long did it?



I will be talking about asking for bookings in the second half but let me
share with you check in calls with your hostess. The more you keep in touch
with them, the more likely they are to keep their date and have a great
show. I recommend at least 3 calls to them before their show. I also send
a "thanks for booking" postcard the day after I get that booking. It reminds
them of the date they picked and adds a layer to your relationship.



Here's the first call:

Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier jewelry. I'm so excited about
your show in March. I just wanted to thank you for setting a date to get
free jewelry. We're going to have a blast! I also want to check in and see
if you have any questions. Ok, I'll call you again in a few weeks to check
in.




The second call you make to your hostess should be about 2 weeks before her
show. It might sound like this:

Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I can't wait for
your show on March 18th. I was just calling to remind you to get your
invitations out but I'm sure you're on top of it already. Have you been
working on your wish list? That's always my favorite part of having a
jewelry show. What piece are you really hoping to get? The Starfish
necklace? Oh, I love that one!

Mary, I wanted to remind you of the bonuses we have so you can get as much
free jewelry as possible. (tell about each bonus) Do you have any
questions? Great! I'll call you again the week of your show to get
directions and see how everything is going.



If you have to leave a message here's what you might say:

Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Jewelry. I just want to leave a
quick message with you about your jewelry show coming up in March. I'm so
excited!! I'm sure you've already gotten your invitations out but I wanted
to remind you of the bonuses. If you could call me back I will go over them
with you so you can maximize the hostess benefits and get everything on your
wish list. My goal is to get you a ton of FREE jewelry! I can't wait to
hear back from you. My number is....



Before the third call, send another postcard reminding them of their date,
the bonuses and that reminder calls help to make a successful show.



Then that third call would sound like this:

Hi Mary, it's Sandi Estey with Premier again. How are you doing? I can't
believe your show is this Thursday. I'm so excited for you. I wanted to
make sure I have enough catalogs and materials, so I was wondering how many
people you're expecting? 7? That's awesome. I would make a reminder call
to all those ladies and even the ones you haven't heard from and suggest
that they wear a solid color shirt so they can try on the jewelry much
easier. You know how people forget things and this a good way to remind
them. If you would like me to do those calls I'd be happy to.



Since I have you on the phone, can I get directions from you?

Great! By the way, if you could clear off your kitchen or dining room
table I will be bringing my own table cloth to set the jewelry on. If you
could move the chairs into the living room where we will be doing the
fashion show, that would be great. I will be at your house about 6:15-6:30
to get set up. Is there anything else I can do for you? Ok, See you
Thursday!!



So now, when you get to that show, it will be more natural because you have
established a relationship with her and it won't seem like you don't even
know her. I remember wondering if I would even remember what she looked
like when I got there because we booked her show so long ago. Build those
layers.



So how does that sound? Do you feel like making check in calls are easier
than making booking calls? The pressure is off on both ends and now she
probably won't even screen her calls.

Does anyone have any questions?


Second Half:

If you haven't been making check in calls you can start now. How many of
you have past hostesses or customers that you haven't talked to in over a
year or two? Admit it... It's ok. Today is the first day of the rest of
your business!!

Go through your guest surveys or customer orders and make a list of who you
want to call. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are not
asking for anything, you're just checking in.

Here's an example:



Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I met you last
year at Kathy's jewelry show. Wasn't that a fun night? I decided to go
through some old customer surveys and I came across your name and thought I
should call to check in with you. I know it's been a while but I wanted to
see how your jewelry is doing. (wait for a response) Oh, you have a
broken bracelet? I'd be happy to take care of that for you. I will send
you a padded envelope pre addressed to Premier with the postage paid and all
you have to is put the bracelet in the envelope, seal and send. It's so
easy. You will see your new bracelet in about a week or so.

I'm so glad I got a hold of you. Is there anything else I can do for you?


Ok, Mary, Thanks again for your business. I'll check in with you again to
see if you got your new piece.



Taking care of Replacement Exchanges right away is key to serving your
customers and keeping them happy. Premier has the instant replacement
program so you can do it right away and they will be so impressed. Be sure
to make a follow up call once the piece has shipped. It's another layer:



Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I'm just
checking in to see if you got your new bracelet from Premier. I'm so
thankful for our Golden Guarantee so I can take care of that for you. Is
there anything else I can do for you? By the way, we just got
back from our Regional Conference and a new spring line was introduced. It's
fabulous!! Would you like me to send you a catalog? I'll add a coupon and
when you find something you like you can just give me a call. Here's my
number. Thanks again for letting me serve you.



Don't be afraid to call a hostess from a long time ago that you would like
to book again. Just let them know it's your new motto for the year and you
want to check in with all your past hostesses. They will be happy you did.




Here's how one might go:

Hi Mary, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I'm just
checking in with you to see how your jewelry is doing. I know it's been
awhile since your show, but I've decided to make a point to call all my
hostesses and check in with them. We had so much fun at your show last
April. I hope all your friends are enjoying their jewelry. How are you
liking everything you got? Great!

By the way Mary, we just got back from our Regional Conference where Premier
introduced a new spring collection. Would you like me to send you a catalog?


You know, I would love to treat you to some free jewelry again. Do you
think March or April be a good time? March is pretty busy? Well I do have
a few dates left in April, does a Thursday or Friday work best for you?
Great, Let's do Friday April 9. I'd love to bring over a hostess packet for
you and I'll bring our new spring catalog. What day this week is best for
you?



Don't be afraid to start now on your calls. Even if you have never done them
before. They will get easier and easier as you do them and remember, you
are building layers with your hostesses so you can book with them again.



Have you ever met someone while at a vendor event or expo and wanted to call
them about having a show? Be sure to do your follow up calls within 48 hours
so the excitement doesn't wear off. If you wait to long, they will forget
who you are.

Here's how a follow up call to someone you met might sound:



Hi Kathy, this is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I met you at
the Women's Expo a few days ago and I just wanted to follow up with a call
to see how you're doing. Wasn't that a great day? I had so much fun
chatting with you and you mentioned you might like to have a jewelry show
this spring. I have a few open dates in March, does a Thursday or Friday
work better for you? Great! I will put you on my calendar for March 19.



Now if you have to leave a message - here's what you might say:

Hi Kathy, This is Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. I met you at
the Women's Expo last Sunday and I just wanted to follow up with you because
you mentioned you might like to do a jewelry show this spring. March is a
great month to do a show because of the great special we're having. I only
have a few prime dates left so if you give me a call back, I'll tell you
about the special and get a date that works great for you. Please give me a
call back at.... I can't wait to hear back from you. Have a great day!



Have you met someone at a show that was interested in hearing about the
business? You definitely want to call that person within 48 hours to follow
up. Here's how that call might go:

Hi Sharon, It's Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. It was so great
to meet you at Amy's show. Wasn't that a fun night? She makes the best
brownies doesn't she? Anyway, I told you that I would call you to give you
more information about our business. Is this a good time to talk?
Great.....



How about someone you know that you think would be great at this business?
Sometimes things change in people's lives and you have a great thing to
offer them:



Hi Sharon, this is Sandi, do you have a minute? I have been thinking about
you like crazy and I just had to call. Mary mentioned to me that you were
laid off from your job and I immediately thought maybe you would be
interested in hearing about what I do. You know I've been selling Premier
jewelry for a few years now and my business is doing extremely well. Even
in this economy, my business has grown and I'm having a blast! Do you think
you could spare a half hour so I can share with you how this business works?
You never know, it might be a good thing for you. How does Tuesday work?



How can anyone turn that down? Get specific on dates to get them to make a
decision.



Now that you've had a one on one with someone, It's very important to call
them and see what they are thinking? At the one on one, be sure to let them
know you will be calling them in a day or two to see if they have any
questions. This way they can anticipate your call.



Hi Sharon, it's Sandi Estey with Premier Designs Jewelry. Thank you so much
for meeting me on Tuesday. I really enjoyed getting to know you better. By
the way, I loved that blouse you were wearing, where did you get that again?
Any way, I promised that I would call you and see if you had any questions.
Is this a good time? Ok, so what questions do you have.....



Every time you make a call to someone, you are building a layer in your
relationship with her. The more layers you have the more chances she will
do business with you. It's kind of like lasagna. The first layer is ok, but
it's not the only thing that builds that lasagna. The top is ok too but
it's all the stuff in the middle that makes that lasagna so good. Build the
middle layers with your customers and hostesses and you will see some good
tasting relationships. Your business will flourish and you will become an
expert at check in calls. They will be so easy that you will not fear the
phone again. I have jewelers tell me they look forward to their check in
calls. They love serving and not asking. Check in calls has totally
changed my business and I feel like I have less cancellations, more shows
and I have relationships with my customers. They remember my name. too so
if they ever need anything they know who to call. I bet you won't forget it
now that I've said it about50 times tonight.



In closing, I would like to read a couple of emails that Shauna Clark had
shared with me from jewelers who started making their check in calls:





#1: Two weeks ago I called a gal who wasn't able to attend the show but
placed an outside order. When I called to "check in" and told her how
thankful I was for her order and wished I could have had the opportunity to
meet her - she was speechless. I actually said, "are you still there?" and
she replied, "Oh yes, I'm just in shock that you called me."



#2 From a leader in Premier: Just needed to share something with you
regarding the check in calls. I was feeling a little down these last few
days just because a hostess cancelled her show in Feb and my business is not
as busy as I am used to - but I have been consistent doing my check in calls
for the last three weeks. So anyway I made some calls last night and left
many messages and this morning I was praying for some encouragement with my
business. So, a few minutes ago I get a phone call from a customer (that I
called last night) and she just wanted to thank me for checking in and was
wondering if she can order from me at any time and we talked and I told her
about my customer appreciation I do every Feb at my house and confirmed up
her email address. I love how God just answered my prayer that this business
is not all about the right now - it is about developing relationships and
serving and showing others that you care. I just thought it was a cool God
story. Thanks for listening. Have a great day!

Thank you for letting me share with you what Shauna Clark started!!

Gayle Foster
Premier Designs
Gold Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment